Thursday, March 13, 2008

Great start

I'm so excited! For about three years now, I've been thinking about doing the Breast Cancer 3-Day ... a 3-day (as the name suggests), 60-mile walk to support breast cancer research and education. On Sunday night, I finally took the plunge and registered for this year's event in Boston (Aug 15-17). Several women close to me, most of them family members, have battled breast cancer. Happily for me, they are (or were until their deaths from other causes) all survivors. The point is, breast cancer is a cause I can get passionate about and Susan G. Komen for the Cure is a charity I am very happy to stand behind. And I relish the physical challenge. But I've always been daunted by the fundraising challenge ... $2200 minimum per person. Well, tonight I'm feeling very supported, empowered, and optimistic. I'm already more than 10% of the way there!
Recently, I've been feeling a strong need to be part of something bigger than my everyday life. Keeping Sam amused, well-rested and fed, and in clean diapers while working half-time, juggling household chores, and getting dinner on the table always seems like challenge enough (even with my mom around to do half or more of the work). And then that very statement completely deflates me ... when there are people facing truly enormous challenges, how can I feel so exhausted by my humdrum, comfortable life? You might think that adding more to my plate would push me over the edge, but both the challenge and the goal of The 3-Day have me totally energized. Cool, heh?
Just as a last plug, if you're at all interested you can learn more about the Breast Cancer 3-Day at www.the3day.org or about Komen for the Cure at www.komen.org.

No comments: